Thursday, September 6, 2007

Withdrawels from an Empty Account?

My alarm went off this morning at 5:15 a.m. and I hit the snooze button with a sigh of dread. My body was just not ready to head to the gym and get moving. So, I laid there for a while, savoring the softness of my favorite fresh, cotton sheets and began to pray.

I was praying for wisdom in raising our kids. They are charming and lovable, but pose new challenges daily. Kate is the most energetic, inquisitive, peristent nearly-3-year-old child that I have ever met. There are moments when I just don't know how to channel that energy or harness that enthusiasm into something besides kicking her brother between the scapulae (shoulder blades) or running him over with his own toys. So, I prayed and thought. It occurred to me that I was searching for ideas in a vacuum of knowlege. It reminded me of going to the bank and trying to withdraw funds from an account that has no money.

I've never had a near 3-year old...I lack experience. But that doesn't have to stop me, it just means that I have to draw upon resources other than myself. So, I perused a few books today, spoke to a few trusted friends and family, and really spent some time thinking about my daughter. She is such a gift and being the oldest, my learning curve with her is steep. But, as I go to bed this evening, I will go to sleep encouraged. My prayers for wisdom are beginning to be answered. I have some new priniciples to put into practice with Kate, I have the support of other mothers, and I know that I am not alone. A small deposit was made into my parental account that can begin to grow. And, as my knowlege grows, I will grow as a parent.

No comments: