Saturday, September 22, 2007

Cricket Academy and Chinese

Today Kate & I headed over to our 3rd Chinese class at Cricket Academy. Kate loves going and looks forward to seeing Shen Lao Shi (her teacher) each week. We have been listening to our Chinese music CD all week, so we were ready to sing the Ni Hao song to start class. We then ate Moon Cakes, made play dough Moon Cakes and learned how to sing "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star" in Chinese.

After class we headed to the grocery store and here is the conversation Kate & I had in the check out line.

K: "Mom, I need to say 'Hi' to Chinese lady!" (Pointing to attractive Asian woman directly in line ahead of us.)

M: (Slightly embarrassed by child..) "Okay, say 'Hi' Kate."

K: "MOM! I need to say 'Hi' to Chinese lady...HELP ME!" (Kate stares intently at attractive woman, commenting loudly. Woman has heard Kate's comments and noticed her staring.)

M: "Kate, you can be brave, you can say 'Hello'".

K: "Mom!! Help me!!! (Brown eyes wide and imploring.)

M: "Excuse me, Ma'am, my daughter would like to say 'Hi' to you. She's hoping you're from China." (I feel so embarrassed at this moment.)

L: "Oh, is she from China? She is so cute!" (Big smile on attractive lady's face. Thankfully, she is from China, now living in the U.S.)

K: "Ni Hao!" (Prompted by Mama...Kate says hi in Chinese.)

L: "Ohhh, Ni Hao! She speaks a little Chinese!"

K: (Beams at meeting the Chinese lady. She's so happy, her visit to the grocery store is complete!)

No comments: