Wednesday, March 11, 2009

looking back...

When people get to know me, they eventually find out that I love China. My regret from our first visit was that I didn't take more pictures, but I was so busy soaking in the sights, smells, tastes and culture. I was so amazed by the experience. Everything but the bitter cold in Beijing was so new.

We wandered these streets with a dear friend of ours before meeting our group of adoptive families...



This gentleman makes "chops". He carves Chinese characters or names into soft stone for you while you wait. These can then be dipped in red ink and used as a stamp. He was very humble and insisted he was not an artist, just someone who carves chops. He said artists do much more intricate work.

After we met our group, we went on a whirlwind tour of the sights about the "North City". The Great Wall was amazing to Runner Boy and I. As we climbed the stairs, you could see the way they had been worn over thousands of years.

They run a marathon over part of the Great Wall...I doubt we'll be signing up for that one!


It was all wonderful, but back to the best part of the trip...this is Peanut having her first bottle with us.

I just kept looking at that beautiful little face and rosy cheeks.

1 comment:

park it said...

2 things
1. love the header - he looks so relaxed!

2. Where in Beijing was this cool shopping lane?

Haope it is getting warmer for you guys!