Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Birthday weekend...part II

What else does one do on their birthday? How 'bout a triathlon?

Who wouldn't get up at 3:45 a.m. on their birthday, drive 50 miles, ride a bus to the venue, freeze in their little tank suit at the start and take off into a lake to swim a 1/2 mile?

See me? I'm 3rd on the left on the beach at the far side of the lake...

Now for the start...

It was my first open water swim...quite an experience on a windy day...

I noticed that it's really difficult to swim in a straight line in the middle of a choppy lake. So did everyone else...I knew one chick was off course when she swam across my path perpendicular to the swim finish...the swim "angels" got her herded back the right direction. Who wants to swim an extra 1/2 mile by going off course?

The swimming frenzy is followed by a run into the transition zone to slap on your helmet, socks, shoes, get a drink then head out on the bike...

...rolling hills, beautiful day, and brutal cross and head winds greeted us on the course...

...I had to use my mountain bike for the tri since I lent my road bike to the guys riding the Tour de France...hope they appreciate it...


...next comes the run...back into the transition zone

...ditch helmet, bike and the wind (okay maybe not the wind...)

...grab running hat, gatorade...

and try to convince legs to keep moving...repeat mantra in mind (borrowed from Finding Nemo)

"just keep running...just keep running...just keep running..."

Looking desperately for finish line...seeing mirages of Starbuck*s drink in the distance...

...finally...

The best part was seeing Runner Boy at the finish...he supported me from the day I signed up...encouraging...making time for me to train...and cheering me on throughout the course.

Thank you...I could not have done it without you and seeing you at the finish was wonderful.


What a wonderful experience...and fun birthday...I might be hooked.

1 comment:

park it said...

WOW - what a wonderful birthday experience! Love the metal-fabulos-as they say! I did a 15k - many moons ago - have the picture to prove it - and checkedit off the to do list - I applaud you ! Way to go girl!
Happy Birthday again!