Tuesday, September 1, 2009

winds of change...


The seasons are changing...and I'm a little sad. It's not that I don't enjoy fall, it's the inevitable winter that follows.

It starts with the "back to school" displays at the store...then the school supply lists arrive in the mail...then the calender starts to fill up with fall obligations...and if that's not enough, the tips of the trees begin to look a little red.

On Thursday, Kate had her orientation for K-4 and her first day was last Friday. She has a wonderful teacher and several friends in her class (one of them is planning to marry her?!), but she's growing up. She's charming to talk to and I love watching her expressions and mannerisms...she's almost five! I remember her toddling around at 15 months old.

Sam had his 3-K orientation Monday and his first day is tomorrow. He was 4 lbs 15 oz just 3 short years ago. He has mixed emotions about the adventure...he loves the toys in the room, but isn't so sure about missing Momma. I did warn his teacher (who taught Kate last year) that Sam in not the chipper, compliant child that his sister is--I have a feeling we'll have more teacher/parent chats this year.

I guess some people are happy to send their kids to school...my sadness comes from looking back on the "baby" years and realizing that chapter is closing. I recognize that there are more wonderful adventures ahead, but I loved that chapter of life.

There's more freedom now (no real diaper bag), the kids are mobile and they love to do new things...but it makes me wonder what is next. So, I'll be spending some time thinking about that...praying...reflecting...

in between...we'll go to gymnastics, Chinese classes, local running events, school, Wednesday kids' church, field trips, and tune up the snowblower...




No comments: