Sunday, August 26, 2007

When the Plans Never Make it off the Page...

As I lay awake in bed this morning, I had such great plans for the day. I was looking forward to reading a bit of the paper, sipping a mocha and then dressing the kids up for Sunday services. Well...it all seemed like a good idea at the time. As I was stretching my toes and plannng my day, I promptly fell back asleep.

When I awoke again, the house was still quiet and with a nod to my husband I drove over to Starbucks. By the time I got home with mocha in hand, the house was getting louder and the kids were stirring...that's when those wonderful Sunday plans began to crash and burn.

First, we noticed Kate's nose (we always notice her nose after the corn incident) it was running like a flooded stream. What we didn't immediately wipe off with a tissue, she would spread across the right side of her face like a Nike swoosh. Then came the coughing and sneezing fits. I never truly appreciated the area a child's sneeze could cover until one sneezed on me...I felt repiratory droplets pelt my face. Finally, it was obvious she was an emotional train wreck. If we looked at her wrong, put the bananas on the plate incorrectly or her brother faked a move toward her tears would erupt out of her eyes. (She could water a lawn when she cries like this.) So we grabbed another box of kleenex from our abundant stash, mopped up the floor and let go of idea of a meaningful worship and sermon.

Even Kate was disappointed when we told her she couldn't go to Sunday school. She just couldn't understand why sharing her virus with everyone was not exactly living the Golden Rule.

So our day went..."naps" that sounded more like a kid playing on a trampoline and cancelled dinner plans (due to virus.)

Even with my day taking a detour, there are still things that bring smiles and remind me why children are so wonderful. I've added a picture of Sam wearing one of my hats and one of him with his Saccharmyces cerevisiae. Sometimes our days go this way and we made an adjustment...hopefully the rest of the week will go a bit smoother.

No comments: