Thursday, July 26, 2007

No One Looks Good at Mile 22

I started running about 5 years ago. I enjoy the workout, the stress release, the sense of accomplishment, the sweat...and buying all the fun running clothes that are out there. There is one thing, however, that I heard and have never forgotten while buying running gear about 4 years ago. The guy working at the store commented that, "No one looks good at mile 22 of a marathon". ...regardless of what they are wearing.

He was right. I have run the Chicago marathon and am sure that I looked pretty tough at mile 22.

Sometimes in the process of life we don't look good at mile 22 either. There's a goal in mind...a finish line at mile 26.2, but the route is challenging. I'm there right now. I've got the goals, the route, the gear, but I think I've hit a wall. It's decision time...time to commit to change, overcome inertia and push on.

I did look tough at mile 22 in Chicago, but that was all but forgotten at mile 26.2. I crossed the line with my running buddy and with arms held high and great joy. I looked damn good.

No comments: