Thursday, June 14, 2007

The Power of Words...

I think alot. Sometimes I think too much and it gets me in trouble. Over the past few days I've been thinking about words and their meaning. It seems that even the shortest, single syllable word can have a great deal of power in our lives. The two words that come to mind for me are "change" and "grace".

I don't like change. It hovers over me, haunts my routines and is unstoppable. I don't know why I fight it because change often brings a new level of joy and adventure to our lives. Maybe it's because I can't control many changes and I fear that God is one of those things that will change in my life. It seems odd that the One who assures us that He never changes is the one I fear will. I also find myself concentrating on trying to control the changes in life that are outside of my power. I guess I need a better understanding of the eternal, unchanging One to trust as I face the realities of life.

Which brings me to grace. I like grace or at least the concept of it, I just don't understand it. I read about it and it sounds very appealing. I just don't live my life as though it is available to me. Probably because I'm to busy trying to control change. A mentor once said to me, "You gain control by letting go..." I believe that's true...I just need the grace to do it.

No comments: